Previous lake clash: Suspect with mental health issues faces 8 charges

Previous lake clash: Suspect with mental health issues faces 8 charges

Police are responding to an incident in which a man barricaded himself inside a home in Prior Lake on Friday. (FOX 9)

Police are recommending eight charges for a man who fled from officers and then barricaded himself in a family’s home, leading to an approximately nine-hour standoff with law enforcement in Prior Lake Friday.

Investigators believe the 31-year-old is homeless and has mental health issues. He was known to law enforcement – ​​police said he was previously wanted on a warrant for first-degree burglary and fleeing police in a car linked to an incident in March.

Police are asking the Scott County District Attorney’s Office to charge him with the following charges relating to Friday’s incident:

  • 1st degree burglary
  • 1st degree property damage
  • Felon in possession of a firearm
  • Flee on foot
  • Providing false information to the police
  • Threats of violence
  • Obstruction with force
  • Careless discharge of a firearm

FOX 9 is not naming suspects until they have been formally charged. The man was assessed at a nearby hospital and remains in Scott County Jail, where police said he did not cooperate with the booking process on Saturday.

No one was injured in the incident.

Dumpster diving with a gun

The incident began at 1:20 p.m. Friday when officers were called to the Kwik Trip at Fish Point Road in Prior Lake to a report of a man who had been acting erratically and walking through dumpsters, the chief said. of Prior Lake Police, Steve, to reporters at a press conference.

Officers arrived and tried to speak to the man as he dug into a dumpster, but police say he assaulted an officer and then tried to pull a weapon from his belt. One of the officers deployed a taser and the man ran off with officers behind him, police said.

The man fled on foot, closely followed by police. The man approached a house in the 1600 block of Windsor Lase and squeezed through an open garage door, before entering the house through a back door, according to Frazer.

The family was at home. “There was such a dynamic and quick encounter where when they saw the uniforms, and they saw this strange man in their house, they did what really amazed me. They evacuated, children, parents and dog out of the house and got to safety,” Frazer said.

The man and officers exchanged words, with the man pointing his gun inside the house, Frazer said. The officers then backed down and called the SWAT team, which led to a stalemate.

A nine-hour stalemate

Frazer said officers surrounded the home and the Tri-City SWAT team, which has members from every department in Carver County and Scott County, responded, as did officers from several nearby departments. , creating a total of approximately 70–75 law enforcement personnel. .

Frazer said the man fired multiple shots inside the house, firing through windows and walls. Investigators are still working to determine how many shots were fired and whether the suspect accessed any firearms that were in the home. Police do not know if he was trying to target officers.

“We had officers obviously very close and all around the house, so to shoot through a wall or a window, I would say that’s too close,” Frazer said.

The man circled the next morning. Frazer called it an example of de-escalation by police negotiators.

“They spoke to him through a series of calls, sometimes good communication, sometimes bad communication, and eventually got him to realize that surrendering peacefully was the best outcome and the best response,” he said. .

RELATED: Why Plymouth PD and local police are increasingly turning to negotiating teams

#Previous #lake #clash #Suspect #mental #health #issues #faces #charges

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *